Here are 10 mostly asked interview questions and some helpful guidance, straight from our experienced consultants.
- What Is Delayed Insert Property?
Delayed Insert Property sets a value that identifies whether a user leaves a record before it is installed into the database. By default, user leaves the control when new records are inserted.
- What Is Totals caused by Function?
It determines which field caused a group total to be calculated. This defines which field changed contents and thereby concluded a group. This function can only be used in header and footer sections.
- Set Range – setting range (or filtering to one specific value if just one parameter entered)
- Set Filter – setting any filter you can enter in NAV
- What is “data Per Company Property”?
Data Per Company Property: It sets a value that specifies whether the data of the table applies to all enterprises in the Database or only the current company.
When you set the property “DataPerCompany” to FALSE, the data will be “Common to All Companies”.
- What Is Blob: (binary Large Object)?
Blob stands for Binary Large object used to store memos and bitmaps. Max size can be 2 GB.
- FINDFIRST: for getting only the first record in the filter, just one record
- FINDLAST: for getting only the last record in the filter, just one record
- FINDSET: for getting multiple records, you intend to loop through them
- What Is A Dimension And A Dimension Value?
A dimension is data that you can add to an entry as a kind of marker so that the Program can group entries with similar characteristics and easily retrieve these groups for analysis purposes. Dimensions can be used throughout the program on entries in journals and documents, as well as budgets.
Dimensions and dimension values are user defined and unlimited, which means you can create dimensions tailored to your company’s needs and business processes.
- What Is Autosplit key?
Autosplit key: It is a property that mechanically generates key values for primary keys that end up with an integer type field.
- What Is Transheader & Transfooter?
Transheader: It should be printed before the first line of its data item on every page but the first.
Transfooter: It should be printed after the last line of the data item on every page but the last.
- How to Check the User Name Who Locked the Table?
This is since at same time two different users are trying to change the values in same table. For the security of data, Navision won’t enable multiple users to change the values in same table at a time.
- What Is Autosplitkey Property ()?
It is a process in Navision to generate a number between the last and next record.
- What Is Import Worksheet?
Import Worksheet is one of the rare forms which you cannot plan in Dynamics NAV that is used during binary import of objects. If the import file consists only objects that are either new or have been updated, they will be imported. If, however, one or more objects with the same ID Property already exist, a decision must be made about what to do. The Import Worksheet displays information about both existing and new objects, and lets you decide how to handle conflicts.
- Difference between Tracking and Tracing
Item Tracking: It is used to track Serial / Lot information on Items for Inbound or Outbound entries.
Item tracing: It is used to trace the Serial / Lot no. that has been posted in the transactions as to where it has been used.
- How to Disable Zoom (ctrl+f8) From a Form?
Just add a new Menu Button to the form, and also add a new option. Caption can be anything you need, for e.g. “Disable Shortcut Key”. Then define the Shortcut Key to Ctrl+F8, but do not define any lookup action. This will supersede the Ctrl+F8 behavior.
- What Are The Web Services?
Page Web Services: When a page is open as a Web service, a default set of operations is open to developers so that they can manage record handling operations such as Create, Read, Update, and Delete. Page-based Web services offer built-in optimistic concurrency management. Each operation call in a page-based Web service is managed as a single transaction.
Codeunit Web Services: Codeunit Web services give you with the most flexibility and control. When a codeunit is open as a Web service, no default set of operations is open. You can decide which operations are available on a codeunit.
- What Are Virtual Tables?
Virtual Tables work in the same way as normal tables with the limitation being that you cannot modify the data. Virtual Tables are not stored in the database as normal tables, but are computed at run-time. Virtual tables cannot be edited through Web services even if they are editable in Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
- Transfer Orders vs Item Reclass Journal?
|Transfers orders||Item Reclass journal|
|It involves physical good transferred from one location to another with transit time, shipment date, receiving dates etc.||Item reclass journal is more like an adjustment than anything else|
|In the older versions of Navision, Transfer Order did not exist||It is the only way to transfer items from 1 location to another was the Item reclass journal|
- Is Dimension Set In Item Card? Will Reclass Alter New Information In Item Card?
Reclass will not change item card, it will make two ledger entries to adjust your item.
- When you’re talking about Item Movement, Are You Talking about Transfer Order or Warehouse Movement?
Basically both ‘Movement’ and Reclass can be used to adjust your item ledger entries information.
The difference is that Movement has a proper document, but your work is also increase because you need to do receipt and shipment for every item movement. If you don’t need to manage receipt and shipment, then reclass is much easier in terms of work load and data.
- Send A Background Email When Any User Unblock An Item Card?
Here is the simple program inside Item Card, “Blocked – OnValidate()”
IF (Rec.Blocked = xRec.Blocked) OR (Blocked = TRUE) THEN EXIT;
SmailSent; //Smail is Codeunit SMTP Mail.
- Make A Field Editable On A Non-editable Form?
There is a little trick to make a field EDITABLE on a NON-EDITABLE form which is to add this code to the field you want to still have access to.
OnActivate() CurrForm.EDITABLE(TRUE); OnDeactivate() CurrForm.EDITABLE(FALSE);
- What Is Difference B/w Onaftergetrecord And Onaftergetcurrentrecord?
OnAfterGetCurrentRecord: It is activated only for the current selected record.
OnAfterGetRecord: It is activated for all records that are displayed
- Differences between Set Range and Set Filter
|Set Range||Set Filter|
|It is quicker||It is slower|
|It accepts only a range (From value, to value)||It accepts only parameters in string format|
|It has more features||It has less features|
- Item Reclass Vs Item Movement?
Item Movements: These are for the movement between bins within a warehouse location where you are using directed Put-Away and Pick.
Item Reclassification: It is used for a variety of reasons:
- Movements between bins within a location with bins but is not setup as Directed Put-Away and Pick
- Dimension changes to Item Ledger Entries
- Simple transfers between locations where shipping and receiving are not needed