Oracle GoldenGate 12c: Troubleshooting and Tuning Training
- Course Content
- Drop us a Query
Oracle GoldenGate 12c: Troubleshooting and Tuning training imparts deeper knowledge on the performance monitoring and tuning methods. The learners will get exposure on diagnosing the cause of fault/error, gathering and examining the evidences, and finding ways to resolve the issue. The training is effective in handling practical challenges using GoldenGate software. Working on all the existing GoldenGate tools, such as Integrated Extract/Replicat, Streams Performance Advisor (UTL_SPADV) , GGSCI, and Logdump utility- all be covered during he learning sessions.
Oracle GoldenGate 12c: Troubleshooting and Tuning course will help you in the following ways:
- Monitor and tune performance
- Use troubleshooting tools to gather evidence and resolve the problems
- Get hands-on practice on various troubleshooting tools including Knowledge Documents, UTL_SPADV, SHOWSYNTAX parameter, GGSCI and more
- Monitor and resolve problems in the areas such as slow startups, lag and statistics, network and disk bottlenecks, file maintenance, mapping synchronization, and more
- Perform tuning of Manager, Extract and Replicate
- Database Administrators
- Data Warehouse Administrator
- Systems Architects
- System Administrator
- System Integrator
- Implementation Consultant
- Basic understanding of Oracle Database
- Oracle GoldenGate 12c: Fundamentals for Oracle
- 1. Gathering Evidence
- 2. Oracle GoldenGate Troubleshooting Tools
- 3. Basic and Startup Problems
- 4. Data Extraction Problems
- 5. Data Replication Problems
- 6. Missed Transactions
- 7. Mapping and Synchronization Problems
- 8. SQLEXEC, File-Maintenance, and Other Problems
- 9. "Classic" Performance Tuning
- 10. "Integrated" Performance Tuning
- 11. "Integrated" Capture and Delivery Troubleshooting
1. Gathering Evidence
- Acquiring confidence using the standard Oracle GoldenGate tools normally used to interact with the software:
- Error Logs, Process Reports, Discard File, System Logs
- Competently using the tools mentioned above to gather evidence about alleged issues occurring to an Oracle GoldenGate environment
2. Oracle GoldenGate Troubleshooting Tools
- Accessing knowledge Documents - Mailing lists, Oracle GoldenGate forums, etc.
- Consulting the Documentation
- Getting familiar with the ShowSyntax parameter
- Getting familiar with the logdump utility
3. Basic and Startup Problems
- Getting familiar with basic problems
- Developing the ability to deal with Extract and Replicat startup issues
- Verifying file names, file permissions, consistency between Extract and Replicat group names and their supporting files
- Verifying consistent naming convention when defining trail files and their reference in the Extract/Replicat parameter files
- Verifying that the correct software version has been installed
- Verifying that the Oracle GoldenGate manager is running, that the group name which fails to start exists and is not misspelt
- Verifying that the the parameter file exists, has the same name as the Extract/Replicat group, and is accessible by Oracle GoldenGate
- Introducing the use of CHECKPARAMS to verify that the parameter syntax is correct
4. Data Extraction Problems
- Developing the ability to deal with and troubleshoot data extraction issues:Extract is slow - Extract abends - Data pump abends
- Analyzing various causes of a slow Extract startup
- Tracing may be enabled, activity logging may be enabled, many columns listed in tables being replicated
- Introducing the use of the CacheMgr parameter to control the virtual memory and temporary disk space that are available for caching uncommitted transaction data
- In-depth analysis of abending Extracts: is Extract unable to open the transaction logs? - Checking to see if the disk is full -Is an archive log missing?
- In-depth analysis of abending data pumps: Does the data pump abend with error number 509 ("Incompatible record")?Have the source tables been changed? Is the Extract abending due to data manipulation?
- Was the primary Extract or the data pump stopped, re-added, or restarted without resetting the data pump’s read position in the local trail?
5. Data Replication Problems
- Developing the ability to deal with and troubleshoot data replication issues:
- Analyzing the various causes of a "stuck" Replicat: Does "Stats Replicat" return no statistics? Do successive "Info Replicat" commands indicate that the Replicat read checkpoint is not moving?
- Verifying that the Replicat is reading the trail to which Extract is writing
- Analyzing the reasons why a Replicat abends: Is Replicat unable to locate a trail? Is Replicat unable to open a trail file? Was "Add TranData" issued for each table?
6. Missed Transactions
- Developing the ability to deal with and troubleshoot missed transactions involving issues such as: Tables that are not properly specified - Missing" Add TranData" command - LOB data not replicating
- Analyzing the reasons why transactions are not being processed: Were the tables included in Table and Map statements? Are fully qualified names (owner.table) used for both Table and Map?
- 'Single quotes' on object names imply case-sensitive names for some databases (including the Oracle database)
- Are the transactions coming out of the source system properly?
7. Mapping and Synchronization Problems
- Developing the ability to deal with and troubleshoot mapping problems, such us Fetching from the source data fails - Table and column names not matching between the source and the target
- Analyzing the causes of various mapping problems:Is Extract returning fetch-related errors? Was the row containing the data deleted?
- Has the undo retention expired?
- Is "NoUseLatestVersion" for "FetchOptions" being used?
- Do the source and target tables exist in the databases? Are they specified correctly in the Table or Map statement? Are their names fully qualified (schema.table)?
- Do table and column names contain only supported characters?
- Are WHERE clauses comparing different data types?
- Is KeyCols being used? Are both source and target KeyCols being used? Corresponding source and target columns must match
8. SQLEXEC, File-Maintenance, and Other Problems
- Developing the ability to deal with and troubleshoot
- SQLEXEC problems - File-maintenance problems - Time differences - Too many open cursors
- File-Maintenance Problems: Discard File Is Not Created - Discard File Is Too Big - Trail File Is Too Big
- Miscellaneous Problems: Time Differences - INFO Command Shows Incorrect Status
9. "Classic" Performance Tuning
- Identifying causes of slow startups
- Monitoring lag and statistics
- Tuning Manager
- Identifying network and disk bottlenecks
- Tuning "Classic" Extract
- Tuning "Classic" Replicat
10. "Integrated" Performance Tuning
- Describing architecture and advantages of the new Integrated capture
- Describing architecture and advantages of the new Integrated delivery
- Familiarizing with the new V$ tables holding real time Oracle GoldenGate statistics
11. "Integrated" Capture and Delivery Troubleshooting
- Familiarizing with Troubleshooting Aids and Tools for Integrated Replication
- Describing Oracle GoldenGate Healthcheck for Integrated Replicat
- Describing the Oracle Database 12c GoldenGate AWR report